Monday, June 25, 2012

"Hey There, Stumpy!"


Hey guys! Before I get into the tutorial on the DIY tree stump, I want to thank all the crew at the wonderful Remodelaholic blog for the feature today!

It's no secret that I have an obsession with things that are a blend of natural and glamorous. I have been wanting to make a tree stump side table for over a year.....for some reason I never got around to doing it. I have used a faux stump in a client's home before, and it really makes the perfect foot stool, and side table. The best part about this project is (besides the paint) it was completely free! I love the look of all things "natural glam".
Here is how I made my Stumpy McStumperton. I will make the tutorial short and sweet like this little guy. 
Instructions
-Climb through the woods to find the perfect stump and avoid getting stung by a needle-y grass called Stinging Netto (I renamed it the Devil's grass). It burns like fire. Or, you could find a stump from someone chopping firewood.
-Let it dry out for a few weeks if it isn't already dry.
-With a chisel or a screwdriver, remove the bark.
-Sand the heck out of it and wipe off with a damp cloth.
-Take a champagne break.
-Spray paint or stain Stumpy in your color of choice (or you could leave it natural). I used a very golden silver.
-Seal the stump with a Polyurathane.
*The only thing that I spent money on was paint! I love nearly free!
Stumpy works perfectly next to my free "throw-away" wicker chair!

 Gotta love the texture!
Once you are done creating your gorgeous stump, prop your feet up, read a good blog and admire your hard work!
Check out my feature at the fabulous blog Remodelaholic!
I am off to do some more creating!


Linking up to:
 


Pin It
Linking up to:

13 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! I have a tree in our backyard that we may be cutting down (bummer) but at least now I have a good idea of what to do with it. And I love that you painted it silver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally do this! I grouping of these look great instead of a coffee table! I have another one that I plan on pairing with it (it's a bit taller). I would love to see pics if you do this!! I hope you have a blessed day!

      Delete
  2. That is very cool! I see stumps people have set out for the trash men all the time. I often consider picking one or two up to make into something. I never even thought of stripping and painting them. Good idea!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Liz! It's amazing how much can be done with "trash" :) I hope you have a fabulous day!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE that! What a great idea. It adds so much interest to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the stump and plan to make a cluster of three for our front room...if I have the room...or sell them...we'll see.

    On a side note. My dad used to heat our house (in Germany) with wood. I know that the wood in the forest is not a free for all. It is regulated. People get a share assigned by the forester and they have to clean out the share and pay for the wood they take. So take care where you get the wood from.

    Where I lived they called that stuff Brennesseln....Hate it! They say that it doesn't sting in months with a "B" in it, but they LIED! One year, while sledding I came across a pile under the snow - YOWSERS!

    Also worth mentioning is that it does make great fertilizer, if you're planning a garden. You take the "devil grass", put it in an old jute bag or old stockings - like a giant tea bag - and let it soak in water for a few days. (we did it in an old tub) and then use that water for our plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thank you so much for the great advice!!! I will definitely use that for gardening!
      My landlord took me out to his property to get wood he owned, and I hunted a good one down :) He has so much junk he doesn't want which works out wonderfully for me and I won't get in trouble by the police :)
      Now you've go me wanting to garden and show that Netto who's boss!!!
      I hope you have a blessed day!

      Delete
    2. Oh Good! Would hate to see you get in trouble!

      Delete
  5. This is so cute and would work perfectly in my living room! The project looks easy to pull off too, and that’s always good in my book. Between keeping up with my job at Dish and the rest of the household, I don’t have a lot of time to do extensive projects. Thanks for including line by line instructions along with pictures too! I am the type of person that is lost without instructions; that’s why I usually get my projects from HGTV and DIY Network, so I can record them to my DVR and replay steps when I inevitably get confused! Luckily, I have the Hopper DVR that comes with loads of recording space to accommodate all my project aspirations. There are so many cute DIY ideas that it makes it really hard to choose sometimes! I’m definitely going to try and attempt this one though. Can you use any kind of wood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! So glad you liked my tutorial! I believe you can use any kind of wood! The cool thing is, you can get so many different looks with different paints, and stains...the possibilities are endless! I have even seen them with legs drilled in the bottom! Let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with Max!
      -Molly

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of natural wood in a modern home, rustic seems to have such a homey feel, thanks for the great inspiration! I am going to have to try this out!

    I know all too well of the stinging nettle (as it is known in England), I grew up in England and when playing in a garden with my sister I fell into a patch and got stung from head to toe when I was about 7 years old...it was awful, but, there is a plant that helps with the pain, called a dock leaf, it normally grows in the same area so maybe google to see if it is found in the part of Germany that you are living in?
    Nettles make great tea too, if you can risk collecting them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, thank you so much for your sweet, sweet comments! You made my day! Yes that Netto is horrible!! You poor thing! I shall check out that magic plant! I have a neighbor that picks elderfliowers and makes a simple syrup for a summer-time soda! Holy cow, It's amazing... i bet she would know how to make tea with it. i will have to ask! If you end up doing the stump I would love to see pics! I hope you have a very blessed day!

      Delete

Thanks for the lovely comments! Each and everyone means so much to me! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...