Friday, September 21, 2012

Flea Market Finds, Fall, Projects and Sneak Peeks!

Well howdy there, folks! Since we are working on all of our rooms at once, I have a jam packed post for you. None of the rooms are quite finished yet, but I thought I'd give you a sneak peek! Since my parents are coming to visit in a few weeks, we are more focused on getting the place ready for company than decorating for Fall... I am hoping to get around to some Fall decor projects soon.
The whole house is now painted (except for two of the bathrooms).The colors of the barn before I got my hands on it consisted of yellow, purple, and neon orange. It is hard to see in the picture above (left) but the color was actually VERY yellow and the color on the wall to the right was a dusty purple. We painted the walls a bright creamy greige and the same dark charcoal greige I used in my kitchen. The chandelier was a flea market find from Belgium and was such a steal!! Only 100 Euros (way cheap, even for a flea market)! We saw the same antique one several other times at the flea market for almost 300 Euro, so we REALLY lucked out and my negotiating skills are majestic. I added a zillion extra crystals to make it larger, so that it would fill the massive, empty space in our dining room. 
Isn't it amazing what a little paint and a 100 Euro light fixture can do to a space!??
 The cowhide was dirt cheap from Ikea. The table was a $20 find from the Goodwill about 15 years ago that my mom passed down to me, and the ladder was found in the barn.  I splurged on the chairs (they were totally on sale) from European Country Living. Once again, I keep all the colors in my rooms pretty neutral so that I can add different colorful accents throughout all the different seasons...Also, it's kind of ethereal feeling in here.
I adore the old stones in the corner. 

We have also been working on brightening up our cozy kitchen. 
The existing lights were really awkward and didn't compliment the space at all. One was long, contemporary and crystal-y (beautiful, but not for a barn). The other was all 90's contemporary looking... I just love the draping chords too (ahem). 
 The ceiling felt like it was caving in and the beautiful hand-burned beams didn't stand out at all!
Below is the large bronze and crystal chandelier we also purchased from the Belgian flea market. It was also a bargain!
 Not only did we paint the walls a soothing linen and charcoal-greige color but, we also painted the ceiling a bright white. It really showcases the beams beautifully now and opens the room up a ton! To update the candlesticks on the chandelier I spray painted them cream.
 The cow-head is from a Polish Pottery shop and the ladder was discovered in the barn. The head is a great apron holder and the ladder sure makes a fabulous towel rack. The antique bottle dryer was purchased in Metz, France at a Flea Market and we will be restoring it to its silvery metal state soon. Besides the bottle dryer and some antique aqua colored bottles, everything at the Metz Fea Market  is WAY over priced. The city of Metz is gorgeous and totally worth the short trip!
Oh, Metz, how I love you and your Frenchie ways!

Another Belgian score was this antique bar-buffet! We got it for only 100 Euro!!! Also way, way cheap even for a flea market...It was already painted a kind of  purply grey color that just didn't sit right with me so, I decided to paint and distress it even more.
I am delighted with the outcome. Tutorial coming soon!

Since I have no autumn decor of my own to show you, I wanted to share with you what my friendly neighbor created. By collecting items from her backyard and our village she dreamed up this pumpkin arrangement and natural wreath. The pumpkin is filled with green beans, carrots, chunks of bark (which hide glasses filled with water), berries, flowers, wheat and some kind of cotton-y plant I don't recognize. How creative and unique is this!? I have to say, Germans know how to create one of a kind floral arrangements that never cease to amaze me. Sorry for the poor picture quality. I shot these with my phone in one hand while sipping a homemade honey liqueur (made by my other neighbor) with my other hand. She also picks Elder-flowers from the fields and makes simple syrup for soda water...OH, MY GOSH. it's incredible... the flavor dances on your tongue like people around a Maypole.


Here is another little peek at my relaxing living room. Ahhhh, even my weepy branches are relaxing with Penny...
To see a tutorial on how we made this pallet coffee table, click here.
I am off to cook Julia Child's (well, actually my grandmother's even better version of) Beef Bourguignon and homemade bread by the fireplace in our kitchen. My grandmother adds a can of cranberries and a few other goodies. It is the perfect meal for a chilly evening! 
I am off to have an enchanting autumn night, you should do the same... 


21 comments:

  1. Mol- Once again, you have made your home so beautiful! I NEED you to come to my house!! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Kara! Miss you and can't wait to see what you've done with your kitchen! I should be home in November!!xo

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, your flea market finds are AMAZING! The chandeliers, buffet, bottle drying rack...so fabulous. I am so excited to follow your room transformations that I put you on my blog roll so I don't miss a post!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary Alice! I will add you to mine as well! I love your design skills, you are so talented!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the inspiration in your dining room. It looks great and has me wanting to beef up my decor. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I would love to see pics of your dining room when you do! I bet it will look fabulous!

      Delete
  4. whooaaaa. you are GOOD. I am in loovveee with the buffet!!! Absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!! And HOW incredibly COOL is it that you have so many pieces from all over Europe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kristen! If ever you are in Europe, pop over for supper! I will take you to the castle!

      Delete
  5. I am in love with that buffet!! How fun to have such great access to so many great finds!! Your home is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was so cheap too! Yeah I feel really blessed to be able to go to European flea markets and get these kinds of items. It's a dream come true! I hope you have a blessed day!

      Delete
  6. Looks great! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for the holidays ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev! I am madly brain-storming what I will do! Can't wait to see what you have up for your halloween partay! I saw your pins...looks pretty amazing!

      Delete
  7. I showed your blog to a couple co workers today.. they were amazed!! You ARE amazing! -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Melissa! That means so much, I feel honored! :) I hope you have a blessed day! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm LOVING EVERYTHING!! I could just move right it :) Why am I such a sucker for ladders? I could literally name every other item in your home that I'm in love with too, but let's just say I love it all. Great job Molly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I wish I could have you over for coffee and dinner! I feel like we have so much in common that I never knew before! you are so awesome!

      Delete
  9. Madly in love with your dining room! It is perfection!! The ittle peek at your kitchen is fabulous too! What a great bones your place has and you are turning it into a real gem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I will have updated pictures soon! We worked on it a lot this past weekend :) It is almost done!! :)

      Delete
  10. First of all I love your blog. I read it a lot! Ok that made me sound like a stalker! Haha So I am moving to Europe in just a little over a month to the Netherlands to be exact and was wondering where these flea markets in Belgium you go to are exactly because I have been wanting to go there too but just not really sure of cities and the names of them, etc. I would appreciate the information! It's nice to read about other Americans in Europe that love design because I do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Leah! I feel so honored that you like my blog! Oh my goodness, you are going to just love Europe! It is so awesome here! The big flea market that I go to is in Tongeren Belgium... It has good quality items for good prices. There is also an enormous one in Liege. If you are ever in SW Germany hit me up and we can grab a coffee and talk design, Europe and markets! Have a beautiful day! :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome......thanks for the info! It would be really cool to meet up sometime if it ever worked out. It's nice to read about an American in Europe going through the same problems and issues. I do love Europe I've been there lots before. I was military and deployed to southern Europe for 2 years so I love it! I am now going to be convincing my husband we are going to be taking a trip or two to Belgium since it's so close to us!

      Delete

Thanks for the lovely comments! Each and everyone means so much to me! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...