Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DIY Drop-Cloth Zebra Hide Rug





I have been wanting a faux zebra hide rug bad.... and for a long time. They add a nice dose of sassiness and sophistication. A touch of animal print looks awesome in any style of room, traditional, contemporary, boho etc.  I needed one (yes I said need, not want) like a fatty needs a tub of ice cream. The ones that you can purchase in stores (typically are cow hides that are painted or dyed with a zebra pattern) cost a fortune and I (ahem...my husband) am not willing to spend the money on one. So, I decided to do the next best thing... paint one from a drop-cloth!
I stumbled on a tutorial for a zebra painted drop-cloth rug by Vidya at  "What's Your Home Story" and I  just had to make one for our barn! In fact, I am going to make another one in a bronze color too! It was that easy... 
My shimmery hide is a cross between a unicorn and a zebra... I call it  Zebrunicorn or Zeb for short. 

Grab a Coftail (coffee-cocktail) and get ready to make magic! 




Note: If you are leaving your drop-cloth the natural color, you may want to stitch the sides so it doesn't fray over time.


Note: Be sure to add the fabric medium to your stripe color as well. Fabric medium keeps your paint from cracking and chipping. If you stitch the edges, you should (at your rugs own risk) be able to wash your rug safely. If you polyurethane it, do NOT put it in the dryer... It could be a fire hazard. 



Once you are done, 

Don't you just love captain Zebbby pants???!!! I especially love how cheap he was to make!
He will look beautiful during the holidays and will go perfectly with some of the modern touches that I plan on adding to our home. 



I definitely recommend placing your rug in a low traffic area. Also, it cleans so easily with a wet rag!

Good luck and have fun! I am off to start planning our holiday decor. 
Ciao!
xo


Linking up to:
 


DIY Show Off    

24 comments:

  1. Hi Molly, I'm from Munfordville and LOVE your blog! I have known both sides of Matt's family all my life. Since I am an old lady, I feel free to give advice...so although I love your Zebra rug I will tell you something a bunch of my friends have discovered about floor cloths. We started out using canvas then discovered painting them on the back side of a good grade of vinyl floor covering....much easier to work with and you can get cheap remnants at carpet places. You, being so crafty, may already know this but I just HAD to get in my 2 cents worth! Keep on blogging. I get a lift every time I read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool!! Thanks for the idea! What is your name??? I'm so glad you enjoy my blog and I am so happy to have you here! :) xo

      Delete
    2. My name is Janice McCombs. My mother, Charline Williams, taught Lori and Marcia piano. I really never knew Matt but I used to see him with Mary Williia when he was little. I'm sure you know but you couldn't have picked finer families to marry into. Love both sides! So glad you and Matt are enjoying your life and letting us enjoy it with you. Keep on!

      Delete
    3. Oh How cool!!! Your mother taught them well! I married into the greatest family EVER. I am so in love with all of them! I am so thrilled to (virtually) meet you! Thank you so much for the sweet words! xo

      Delete
  2. I am just amazed at your style....I don't know what to call it....there is a little bit of this and a little bit of that.....I love the layout of your home with the little stairs going up into the family room..so cozy!!!! Where at in Germany are you??? Christine from http://littlebrags.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am not too sure what my style is either! I big mix of everything I guess! Thank you so much for your sweet compliment! I hope you are having a beautiful day! Xo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Bethany! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. This is amazing! I love this idea and may totally make one for our new house someday! Thanks for showing it step-by-step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! Let me know how it goes! Have a blessed day!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I know if I attempted this, my stripes would be all crooked, you made it look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it actually is so much easier than you think! I totally thought I was going to ruin it! So easy! Thank you so much for your sweet words, dear!! xo

      Delete
  7. Where should I buy the metallic paint in Vacaville?? Michael's??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Hilary! I actually purchased my paint in America at a lowes... It is a Martha Stewart paint. I bet Michaels would have it too! Good luck and be sure to mix in fabric medium!! xo

      Delete
  8. This is amazing!! You're being featured on Sunday Features-Give Me The Goods and will also be on my FB page tomorrow too ;)
    Hugs,
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Molly. Thanks for linking to my post. Love how yours came out. The gold sure glammed it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vidya, I am so thrilled you came by!! I am absolutely in love with everything you do! Your taste is magical! Thank you so much for the inspiration! You are amazing! xo

      Delete
  10. This is awesome Molly- I think I might have to try one... thanks for the amazing tutorial. Pinning it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totlally should!!! It is such an easy project and easy to clean too!!

      Delete
  11. Nice! Although with the color, I think it looks a little closer to tiger prints than zebra prints, but nonetheless, good job! It seems like you’ve find a cheaper and more personalized take on a zebra rug. I also think that it is definitely easier to clean. I'm gonna want to try doing something like that one of these days.
    Jason Sherman

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you - a grown woman - REALLY say "like a fatty needs a tub of ice cream" on this blog post, a blog I'm sure you're trying to raise interest in and get increased traffic to as a way to monetize it and line your pockets? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? How incredibly rude and vicious is that, not to mention ill-advised, as you have no idea who your audience might be. I'm sitting here reading decorating blogs today with my sister who is ill and suffers from an endocrine disorder which makes gaining weight very easy and losing weight very hard, and you've not only offended her, you've offended me on her behalf! You're mean, rude, and ignorant. I see people here commenting on the family you married into - surely your poor husband could have chosen much better. BTW, your rug looks like crap, that is not a convincing hide silhouette and the stripes look horrible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the lovely comments! Each and everyone means so much to me! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...