Monday, May 9, 2011

How to Build a Cafe Style Chalkboard

 
Do you have a fabulous frame that you'd like to convert into a chalkboard?  Here's how..it's super simple. Get a large 1/2" thick piece of ply wood cut to match the dimensions of your frame.  Shave off 1/8"-1/4" all around to allow for the wood to expand and contract during the different seasons.
 For the same reason your going to want to pin the wood in not nail it in. Now, before I pinned it in, I painted the wood using valspar chalkboard paint and did three coats. Your supposed to wait for 24 hours before painting the next coat but, I have a patience problem so I just dried it with my hair dryer and fan and did all three within an hour, and it came out fine!
Tack it in and it's all ready to hang!

I stacked some old luggage and baskets and topped it off with a big jug that was an old cheap sangria bottle, and filled it with sand and shells and large flowers. Now the arrangment is complete!!


Btw, this is a coffee table I got at the Goodwill for $20.00 and threw some $5.00 pillows from Ross on it and made it a bench!  The candle holder on the wall was $6.00 from the Goodwill, and than, I saw the same exact one for over $45.00 at Pier One the next day.
The last pictures are old of my board in my old home...Below is the chalkboard now.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, your chalkboard! I have had a frame in storage that I just can't part with & now don't have to. Thank you so much for this tutorial! What a brilliant and creative idea!!!!
    Bev

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the lovely comments! Each and everyone means so much to me! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...