Saturday, July 6, 2013

{DIY} Vintage French Oyster Basket Light



I am probably more excited about this DIY project than anything! We made this custom light fixture a few months ago, and I finally got around to taking picture of it! This light fixture is in the dining room and kitchen area of the lovely home we are working on with the DIY red chandy,  pallet chalkboard and armoir bar, and great grate entryway wall! Here is a picture of the dining space before! 

The area isn't finished but the fabulous new light fixture sure is! 
We found these vintage, industrial, French Oyster baskets from European Country Living... there is a store in Germany and Virginia. It's an awesome and magical place!!

To make this fantastical and unique light fixture we:
1. Bought an inexpensive light kit from Ikea, tons of rope, and a vintage looking Edison light bulb. You can get these bulbs off of Etsy. The bulbs are half of what makes the light look so cool.. you wouldn't want to put an energy light bulb in where it's all exposed and stupid looking... This vintage basket calls for a vintage light bulb. 
2. We stuck the light kit through the hole in the bottom of the basket, and screwed the lightbulb in which holds it in place. You could get any basket or flower bucket you find and drill a hole in the bottom for a light kit. 
3. To cover the ugly plastic light kit, we place a touch of hot glue at the top, attached rope and continued wrapping the rope all the way down to the basket than added a touch of glue there to keep it in place... You only need a little glue at each end to keep it in place. There is no need to actually glue the chord itself. 

Shazaam! You have yourself a beautimous, inexpensive and completely custom light fixture! By the way,  the gorgeous shutters in the background are from "European Vintage Chic".... love them! The owner of that shop is fantastic as well! You can get info on that shop here.

 

 I will show you more of this little corner of their dining room soon! There is still more to be done before it is complete! 
Stay tuned for another awesomely cool, shazaam worthy light fixture make-over!
Cheers!


Linking up to:
Liz Marie Blog

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! It has the bones of a "shade" but gives off more light. Plus repurposed vintage anything always wins in my books:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Re-purposing is so fun isn't it!! Your gorgeous cottage is full of it!

      Delete
  2. I sense a weekend project coming up involving me trying to transform some old lobster traps I have into something as wonderful as this oyster basket shade !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooooo that sounds sooooo rad!!! If you do it please e-mail me a pic! I would so love to see it!

      Delete
  3. Love it! What an awesome light with such wonderful character and patina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa! It was such a fun and easy project!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely LOVE how it turned out!!! Truly a one-of-a-kind piece!

    Fotini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I love your blog too!! Thank you so much for stopping by and hosting the linky party! xo

      Delete
  5. Molly,

    It looks great, I love how the handles hang down and totally make your eyes go up to take a double take. Very creative! Thanks for sharing this at the Inspiration Gallery!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much and welcome to my page!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loveeeee it! So beautiful! I'm visiting from "Inspire Me Please" and you definitely inspired me :)

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bonnie!! I am so thrilled you stopped by! I hope you have a blessed day!!

      Delete

Thanks for the lovely comments! Each and everyone means so much to me! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...