Friday, December 20, 2013

Tartan Love and a Few Classic and Fabulous Finds


 Bon Jour, mes amours! If you follow me on Instagram, you know I just got back from the "city of love" and wow, it was stunning! What an experience to go there during the crisp, cool winter! Ah, I feel so revitalized after roaming the streets of Paris with my dear friends.

Because I have so much holiday preparation to do, I am going to keep this post short and sweet and just share with you a few Christmas decor updates that we have made around the barn. I will be sure to post our Paris photos soon but first, I want to share with you my love for Tartan (or in The States, plaid) this holiday season. I am also so excited to show you a few new goodies  I have found at a few flea markets! 

A touch of tartan adds a sharp, classic sophisticated look to a
a space and I can't get enough of it this winter. The more I add to our home, the more our barn feels like a British or Celtic, country home (well, my version of one at least).  It reminds me of a pub I went to in the English countryside. Also, I am part Scot and am having fun paying tribute to my heritage. 
(My wonderful cousins in the pub that inspired me to do this "look")

After I posted our Holiday Home Tour a couple weeks ago, I stumbled upon some tartan pillowcases for a Euro and have added them to our Christmas decor! I think they look great with some of the antique tartan we already had in our living room. The pillows really complete the space, and add the perfect pop of red to that corner. The red really makes that part of the room come to life. 
.
I have added these pictures to our Holiday Barn Tour post, so you can see all of our holiday pictures together!

My home isn't the only thing we have decked out in Tartan,
 I am sporting it this winter season as well! 

Now, on to some of the vintage goodies I scored last week.
I found these gorgeous Florentine trays at a flea market while hanging out in Trier and were so thrilled to add them to our collection. I couldn't believe they were hiding on the floor under a pile of junk... The vendor must have known I was coming and was keeping them hidden from the crowds of people for me to discover.

At the same market, I also found this kitschy, faux, oil painting from Rome. It is classic, quirky and just what I like. The masculine gentlemen's pipe is from a shop in our local area. I am loving how it all looks on top of our WWII Russian Ammo boxes from European Vintage Chic in Landstuhl, Germany! The Gold glitz of the fancy foil painting (faux oil) and florentine tray are a great contrast to the roughed up and bleached ammo boxes. 

To see our  Barn Holiday Tour and more touches of Tartan in our home, click the image below and head on over! We would love to have you over! 

To learn more about the history of tartan, click here.

So tell me, how do you feel about Tartan? Love it as much as I do?



4 comments:

  1. So lucky ...you just got back from Paris! I wanted a red plaid pillow for my Christmas decor so bad this year and I couldn't find one anywhere! Maybe I'll have to break down and sew one next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely tour! Enjoy Christmas in Germany. Lucky you, in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holiday greetings from Munfordville! In the seventies I had a love affair with tartans which prompted me to order a box of pieces from Scotland. From it I made a patchwork tartan coat for my 4 yr old daughter and an outfit for my Cairn Terrier. I used them for everything! Since then it seems tartans went out of vogue. So glad you are using them. Maybe this is the beginning of a revival of interest in this wonderful fabric. I hope so.

    Loved your pics of you and Matt. You must make your Bichon a tartan outfit to coordinate!

    Best wishes for a fabulous 2014! Janice McCombs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Paris in the winter time, but I hear they have lovely store displays for Christmas. It is funny that different regions of the world have different names for '"plaid". I've always thought that tartans were plaid, but the New Englander in me wants to call the your husbands shirt pattern a gingham. (I am thinking the names definitely have to be regional.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the lovely comments! Each and everyone means so much to me! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...